Another major fire in a big city that resulted in a major loss of life including children. The Fire Department of New York (FDNY) responded to a high-rise residential building fire finding a working fire on the 3rd floor with fire and spoke extending upwards to the higher floors. Numerous people died and countless people were injured in this fire. The FDNY Fire Marshal’s Office conducted their investigation and determined that the cause of this fire to be a malfunctioning space heater. Below are some tips when using a space heater in your home:
A: Purchase a space heater model that has a thermostat and an automatic shut off
B: Plug this space heater directly into a wall outlet and do not use an extension cord
C: Keep this space heater a least 3 feet from combustible materials, such as drapes and furnishings
D: Keep it away from wet areas such as bathrooms, to prevent contact with water
And as always please have working smoke detectors in your home.
If you have to evacuate your house or apartment due to a fire……CLOSE THE DOOR BEHIND YOU!