On November 17, 2020 at 2305 hours, Battalion Two was dispatched to a residence in the 100 block of Hannold Boulevard for a rubbish fire. Upon arrival of Chief 9201 (Thomas) it was discovered that the residents were attempting to light a fire pit. The residents could not get the wood to light and used gasoline from a one gallon container to assist with the lighting the fire. Upon doing this the fumes from the gasoline gas immediately ignited causing the holder of the can to drop it. This resulted in gasoline to roll down the driveway on fire. Due to high winds the fire grew bigger and drew the attention of the next door neighbor, who brought out a fire extinguisher and put out the fire. The damage was the vinyl fence, the gasoline can and area brush. This could have been a whole lot worse due to the proximity of the burn pit to the house and car port.
Residents need to be extremely cautious when using back yard fire pits. Residents need to strictly follow the manufactures guidelines on the use and placement of the fire pit. Deptford Township has adopted a Municipal Ordinance regarding the use of fire pits.
AT NO TIME SHOULD ANYONE USE A FLAMMABLE LIQUID TO ASSIST IN STARTING A FIRE IN A FIRE PIT.